In addition to a wide range of CO2 (R744)-related case studies, several refrigeration and heat pump presentations involving the use of ammonia (R717) as the refrigerant will be delivered by industry-leading companies at the ATMOsphere (ATMO) America Summit 2023 on natural refrigerant-based HVAC&R.
This 12th annual edition of the conference will be held Monday, June 12, and Tuesday, June 13, 2023, in Washington, D.C., at the Renaissance Downtown. The event, addressing applications of the natural refrigerants CO2, hydrocarbons and ammonia, is organized by ATMOsphere, publisher of R744.com.
You can register for the event here and find the program and other information on the event website. End users can register for free, and contractors/installers of HVAC&R systems are eligible to receive one free ticket per organization, with a 50% discount on additional tickets.
Ammonia refrigeration presentations will include:
- Mark Shaffer, Design Manager. Evapco, and Jerry Tippmann, VP of Refrigeration TiCold, on the “Latest Low Charge Ammonia Technology Case Study Project”
- Francisco Picazo, Global Engineering Project Manager, Grupo Bimbo, whose presentation will include ammonia/CO2 cascade refrigeration
- Brian McMillan, Director of Preconstruction, InterCoolUSA on “Low Charge in Central Ammonia Systems”
- Mark Stencel, Director of Refrigeration Product Solutions, Bassett Mechanical on “Easing Natural Refrigeration Transitions with Technology: Virtual Design and Construction”
Ammonia heat pump presentations will include:
- Benoit Rodier, Director of Business Development, CIMCO Refrigeration, on “Ammonia Heat Pump to Reduce Carbon Emissions in Ice Rinks”
- German Robledo, Heat Pump Sales Manager, GEA Heating & Refrigeration Technologies, on “Industrial Ammonia Heat Pumps”
- Gary Chafee, Industrial Heat Pumps and CO2 Solutions, Business Development Manager, Vilter Manufacturing, on “Conestoga Meats Cuts Carbon Emissions Using Vilter Heat Pumps”
Many end user and contractor speakers
A large number of end users and contractors – including Walmart, Ahold Delhaize USA, Lineage Logistics and CoolSys – will be speaking on their experiences with natural refrigerant-based systems.
In particular, Jim McClendon, Director of Engineering at Walmart Stores, will participate in a session, “Solving the CO2 Shortage,” that will examine ways to ensure a sufficient quantity of refrigerant-grade CO2.
Other speakers confirmed for the event include:
- Abhijit Bhide Managing Director, Bank of America
- Rob Bradley, Managing Director, Climate Change and Sustainability Services, Ernst & Young
- Ben Churchill Chief Strategy Officer, CoolPlanet
ATMO Awards will be presented to a retailer and an industrial end user, and attendees will vote on three products to receive the Innovation of the Year award. A Person of the Year will also be named.
Presentations from last year’s ATMO America can be found here.